PSD Students Getting Ready for Spring Testing
English and math: Students in grades 3-8 and 10/11 will take the Smarter Balanced state assessments in English Language Arts (ELA) and mathematics this spring. These are computer adaptive tests that measure a student's career or college readiness or progress towards being career or college ready. Over 220 colleges, universities, technical schools now use the high school Smarter Balanced assessment results for college course placement, eliminating the need for costly placement tests or remedial coursework in English and/or math.
Science: Students in grades 5 and 8 will take the MSP Science test and high school students in Biology will take the end-of-course exam.
Our kids are fabulous!
The Ways/Reach Club held a blood drive on April 10. They had 73 student/staff participants and 35 of those were new donors! The donations directly support the local hospitals in our area. Blood drives support 60% of our community's supply. Go Tides!
GHHS Public Health Announcement
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department has notified us that they are monitoring a Gig Harbor High School student who has been recently diagnosed with tuberculosis (TB) disease in the lungs.
In these situations, the Health Department is the lead responding agency and PSD supports their efforts.
Here are some facts:
- Students and staff who have potential exposure have been individually notified.
- The Health Department is offering on-site testing for TB. Students and staff who are not considered at risk for exposure, but would like testing, are encouraged to contact their health care provider.
- Per the Health Department, students with TB do not attend school while under treatment.
- Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department will host an informational meeting about TB at Gig Harbor High School on Tuesday, 4/12 at 5:00 PM in the library.
- For more information about TB, please see the attachment from the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department.
AP Testing Schedule
AP Test Dates and Times
Please note that week one of AP Testing is in the GHHS Auxiliary Gym except for the AP Environmental Science test, which will be administered at the Inn at Gig Harbor, AP Spanish will be in room 317 at GHHS, AP Art History will be in room 110 at GHHS and AP Computer Science will be in room 104 at PHS.
Week two of AP Testing will be in the PHS Competition Gym. AP French testing will be in the PHS counseling office.
Students should arrive for check-in NO LATER than 7:15 am for the morning tests and 11:30 am for the afternoon tests. It is important to be on time, this expedites the student check-in and bubbling in of pre-test information. Please bring black and/or blue ink pens, sharpened #2 pencils with erasers, an approved calculator if required and snacks and water for breaks. Food and water will NOT be allowed on tables during testing.